From:
Keni Sturgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:37:20 -0800
Emily,

Though I am not currently working with that age group, at a previous position I did develop programs for early childhood (4-6).  The
programs were at a maritime museum back east.  These were themed family programs, run on one or two (demand dependent) Saturdays
during the fall-spring months (a slower time than the summer months).  I asked that children be accompanied by their parents and that
parents(or an adult) help out during the program.  Each theme incorporated an interactive tour, storytelling, snacks and crafts.  Having the
adults was very helpful for the crafts!  I decided that this age was a bit underserved in our local community, and that unlike older children,
kids from 4-6 really can't do things with out an adult present.  I figured that if we offered a program that involved children and adults and
offered it in the afternoon (I chose 1-3 p.m.) so they didn't have to get up too early, nor interrupt Saturday morning cartoons that it would
work.  It was well received.  It was also inexpensive to run.  We had over 80 docents, many who loved children this age.  I put together a
committee.  Each program was planned and run by a two-docent team, with a budget of $20 or less for the whole thing (not including
snacks).  The docents did a wonderful job, with only suggestions from me about curriculum.  It was great fun.

Hope this helps.
Keni Sturgeon
Jensen Arctic Museum
Western Oregon University