From:
"Janzen, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:16:16 -0500
Beau,

That depends on the sword, the scabbard, and the condition of both. Display is up to you. Storage is another matter.

 A sword's scabbard is typically designed to protect the blade, as the designers and users of such weapons well understood the nature of their materials. No matter what the material, if the scabbard is in good condition, clean, and not corroded inside, then it should protect the blade well without vast cleaning and oiling projects. I have one naval officer's sword whose scabbard is completely lined in brass to help prevent the salt air from generating the typical catalytic reaction between two grades of steel, as well as to prevent the act of drawing the sword from dulling the blade.

Taking the weapons out of their scabbards will not necessarily help them, although I would say it is better for exhibition purposes(if the blade condition is good enough). An exposed blade is then subject to more degradation from environmental issues, dust, physical damage, etc. Any coating preparation evaporates more quickly and unevenly, resulting in more issues.

Although I do advocate a very light oiling, it is only redone when necessary, not on any regular basis. Too much oiling is just as bad as too little, if not worse. I have seen some weapons damaged by the fact that they were stored vertically and oiled so frequently that the oil pooled in the bottom of the scabbard, creating a waxy microclimate that almost ate the end off of the blade. Others are damaged by the often over-vigorous oiling/cleaning itself.

I would also note that if the blade in question is already corroded, storing it in the sheath could very well make it worse. A conservator should treat and stabilize the metal before taking any action.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
316-978-5850