From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:44:52 -0500
Martin Van Buren's home "Lindenwald," in Kinderhook NY (1797, remodeled 1849), and Washington Irving's "Sunnyside" (purchased by Irving 1845) in Tarrytown, NY, both have early indoor running water, sinks and drains.   "Sunnyside" has a large kitchen and adjoining rooms used for preparing food.  Another site, somewhat earlier (from 1817), that you would know about is Hyde Hall in Cooperstown, with indoor running water.  As I recall the plumbing materials in these houses were lead and tin, with marble counters.  These houses would have prepared meals for large numbers of guests but not as commercial enterprises like an inn.

Also check out the various homes at Genesee Country Museum, Mumford NY.  They span a variety of time periods.

"Spring Hill" in Massillon, Ohio, early (1820s) home of Thomas and Charity Rotch, New Englanders from Nantucket and Hartford, had a basement kitchen and may have had early running water.  The property has a springhouse and I remember the successor owners, Arvine Wales and his wife, were given a large bath tub coated in zinc as a wedding present.  Phone 330-833-6749
http://www.massillonproud.com/springhill/index.htm

David W. Palmquist
Head, Chartering Program
NY State Museum
State Education Department
3090 Cultural Education Center
Albany NY 12230
518-473-3131
FAX 518-473-8496
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
web site:  www.nysm.nysed.gov/charter/

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/22/01 10:11AM >>>
Please excuse any cross-postings.
Dear Museum-l list members:
Is anyone aware of a foodways program at an historic site that uses an
earlier (ca. 1845) cookstove? Or a site that has a kitchen furnished to that
time period? At The Farmers' Museum we are in the process of researching the
appropriate furnishings for a kitchen for the Bump Tavern. Some key
questions we are thinking about:
* How would a "commercial" kitchen, i.e., one that may serve a certain
number of guests and the owners' family every night, function with a
cookstove of this time period?
* We want to include an indoor water pump and sink. What is the correct pump
technology for ca. 1845? What would the sink surround and cabinetry look
like? Does anyone know of an example we can copy?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Lesley L. Humphreys
Curator of History and Research
New York State Historical Association/The Farmers' Museum
PO Box 800
Cooperstown, NY 13326