From:
MOH Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 09:58:28 EST
At 08:25 AM 2/14/96 EST, you wrote:
>I am trying to purchase a recording hygrothermograph for monitoring
>in a newly restored 1904  building.  Does anyone have any strong
>recommendations for brands and/or suppliers.  Is Belfort in Baltimore
>still in favor?  Any tips or things to watch out for?

At the new Museum of History in Raleigh, we use Hygrothermographs by Omega
Engineering.They are a very slim unit with circular charts that are easier
to change than the old drum type.The unit measures 13.5" high x 10.5" wide
x2.5" deep.
Colour is beige and they blend into exhibit decor very nicely.These have
digital motors instead of analogue and draw less volts for economy of
operation.They operate best on two Duracell batteries for several months and
are shipped with a/c adapters.
There are two lights to the right of the dial face,(operate only on DC)very
handy when changing charts in a dimly lighted gallery full of visitors.To
the lower right hand corner is a digital display to check gallery climate at
any instance.
An audible alarm is incorporated in the design,it's use optional should the
batteries weaken.
The charts are round and two sided and so there is a cost saving in flipping
charts and it reduces filing space required.They are packed with a small
quantity of charts in C and F degrees,daily,weekly and monthly.I found
weekly to suit my purpose and so I suggest if you order a unit to ask on the
order for all charts packed to be what you require.The others will just
gather shelf dust.
The customer service by Omega is excellent.Cost is appx $535.00ea.I have 17
units in operation.

Omega Engineering
One Omega Drive,Box4047
Stamford,CT 06907-0047
Telephone (203)359-1660  (800-826-6342 Sales and Service)
FAX (203)359-7700

I have also had experience with the old German made, key wind-up drum
units.These are workhorses and sometimes may be found for resale at
instrument repair shops or talk to a horologist.They seem to last forever
and aren't subject to power failure.
Be sure to have it recalibrated if it hasn't a tag indicating so.
Cole- Palmer sells a miniature drum type that operates for months on one AA
size battery.
If you have visitors in the gallery you may ask your mount makers to
fabricate lexan shelves to keep them out of reach of curious children.
Our security staff found a child lying on the floor in a galley speaking
into the relative humidity sensor thinking it was a tape recorder.The father
was quite irate when the guard asked that he replace it on the shelf.Such
are the joys of museum life!
Regards
Len Hambleton-Chief Conservator
The North Carolina Museum of History