From:
Ashley LaVigne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2016 09:34:52 -0400
William,

Yes--I mentioned that this is a county museum. We do happen to happen to operate the museum for the second largest county in our state by land area and 3rd largest by total area, so we cover a lot of ground, but population wise we aren't that large being so far to the north. Our collection is quite large and it has been acquired mostly through donations (and we have been fortunate to acquire some truly amazing pieces!), though what all it entails, I can't fully say as it hasn't been properly organized as the budget has never been large enough I guess to take on more than one staff member (the current director). I am only a very recent addition.

These sympathy cards and funeral ledgers are for the death of a man and his wife who were considered "pioneer merchants" from the very late 1800s through the 1950's. There are probably close to 150-200 cards in total for this man and his wife and 4 funeral ledgers (but these are not only for himself and his wife, but also 2 other family members)

I am no opposed to selectively choosing a few good ones and keeping these. I also wanted to bring up this topic in the event items like this come through our doors in the future.

Thank you all so much for your responses! I am a recent graduate and still very new, so I am very grateful for having the opportunity to learn from all of you here! I will definitely be utilizing your suggestions and thinking on these things. The collections here is quite disorganized and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to bring order to the chaos, and with only two staff members, that can be a bit trying!

Thanks again for your guidance! I appreciate it!