From:
"Jose A. Ortiz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 10:29:23 -0800
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I work for a museum that has extensive video and film holdings in our
> archives.  We are currently working on establishing policies and guidelines
> for access to and use of these holdings, and we are struggling with the issue
> of commerical uses.  I'd be interested to hear from any Museum-L-er's with
> experience/knowledge/opinions in this area:
>
> What role if any should a non-profit institution play in deciding who may use
> its audio, video, and film holdings for commerical purposes?  What sorts of
> restrictions are acceptable?

The way I understand it is:
1. If these videos/films become part of your collection and you are a
not-for-profit institution serving the public, then the general public is
supposed to have access.

2. If you do not own the copyrights to these films/videos, then you
cannot authorize commercial use.

Jose

--
Jose A. Ortiz