From:
Timothy Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:42:22 -0700
This sounds like a question of the Conservation Distribution List: Cons
DistList.  As a member: one can mail submissions to
<[log in to unmask]>; for administrative matters (file
requests, subscription requests, etc.) <[log in to unmask]
stanford.edu>; DistList Archives: All instances of the DistList are
available (both for browsing by whole items and searching for individual
messages): <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/>; the ConsDir is available
at the same site.

On the west coast we sometimes secure glass and ceramics to shelves with
wax (earthquakes), so try a mild solvent such as VM&P Naphtha.

Worst case: someone used super-glue or epoxy.  This can be undone, but
with chemical effort.  I advise contacting a Conservator, but if you
must take the risk, try soaking in hot water for days, then maybe
mechanical separation will work.  A heated solvent such as ethylene
chloride (a major carcinogen) has also been known to work.

As I said, its a risk better handled by an experienced Conservator
<http://aic.stanford.edu/>.  All this assumes that the glass is only
glass with no pigments, coatings or metal attachments.  Some "enamels,"
glazes, are also sensitive to the prolonged hot water and solvents.

Tim Vitale
Preservation Associates

Museum-L" (without the quotes).