From:
Allison Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:13:53 -0500
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:37:20 -0700 SF Gray <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Richard Fields wrote:
>
>>         I would like some suggestions on age appropraiteness.  We
>> conduct a
>> Civil War Candle Light tour at our site, which involves scenes acted
>out
>> by reenactors.  One of my staff has traditionally discouraged
>children
>> from attending, but I am of the opinion that it except for small
>> children, it shouldn't be a problem.  Can you share your opinions on
>> children at events like this, or in museums in general.  With the
>> exception of the Holocaust Museum, I have never seen a museum
>exhibit I
>> have found to harsh for children.  Any thoughts?  Oh, safety is not
>> problem.

i am surprised that you thought the Holocaust Museum too harsh for
children.  When I was there last, there was an exhibit specifically
designed for children, which led them through a small exhibit on the
first floor through the eyes of a child.  The museum is also decorated
with tiles that were made by children who had learned to express their
sympathies about the Holocaust through this art form.

In short, I don't think that  topics  per se are too harsh for children,
but rather the means in which we choose to present them.  We have an
extremely popular annual walk through a local cemetery which is attended
by people of all ages.  So far, we have had no complaints  or suggestions
to limit the ages who can attend.  Ultimately it is a decision left to
parents.

Allison Weiss
Director of Education
McLean County Historical Society

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]