From:
Timothy Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:42:42 -0700
I'm doing research on this subject, but have already missed one
publication deadline.  Preliminary evaluation of skimpy data suggests
some preliminary results.  I measured two scanners and the intensify of
their cold cathode lamps (newer scanners).  Each put out about 2000 lux
for 10 seconds on a one inch band; duration depends on resolution.  At
600 dpi, on these scanners, that would be about 6 lux per hour.  The
standard preservation recommendation for paper is 50 (to 150) lux light
levels, for 12 hrs per day, 6 days a week for three months (4.2 weeks),
every 3-5 years or 45,360 lux/hrs (calculated with 50 lux) exposure over
every 5 years for its lifetime (which is usually estimated as 100-500
years).  Six lux hours doesn't even register on the "lifetime meter".  I
haven't measured heat, but it is also insignificant for the two SOHO
scanners tested (both 1200 X 600 dpi 30/36 bit, flatbeds) from different
manufacturer.  I haven't measured UV output.  I expect it to be present,
possibly high, but also insignificant because of duration.

Timothy Vitale
Paper and Photography Conservator
& Preservation Consultant
Conservation Associates
Aptos, CA
831-684-2731 (another area code change in Silicon Valley)