Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 10:43:56 -0400
>As a first-year doctoral student in Library & Information Studies, these
> distinctions interest me and am confused as to why museums and libraries
> and archives aren't seen as more kindred institutions.

I think libraries could be viewed more like museums if the librarians decided
which few books from the stacks visitors could LOOK at, and if they also
"interpreted" the books for the visitors.  Museums could be viewed more like
libraries only when those who visit them come to READ objects to answer
questions they have about the world around them and not just come to admire
their "book jackets"....  I guess someone would need to teach them how to
"read"
objects first, though.

Richard Efthim, Program Director
Naturalist Center