From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:06:53 -0400
I think these need to  be taken a case at a time......obviously a private
non-profit museum in a rural area considers itself very lucky to have
knowledgeable volunteers since the government doesn't provide for staff
salaries.

 In other cases, urban museums with lots of prestige may have a waiting
list for volunteers.   They can be as choosy as they want to be.

Then there are government museums, and having directed two in the
Williamsburg VA area, I learned quickly that people expected to be paid for
the work ordinarily done by volunteers -- that was part and parcel of being
in a tourist economy.