From:
Rod Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 1994 09:57:00 EDT
Dear Museum-L subscriber,

In early July, I posted a request to Museum-L and other discussion
lists asking for entries for inclusion in a directory of museum
and museum-related staff.  This form requested your name, email
address, institution, department, and three fields of interest.
I would like to thank the many people who have responded.  If you
did not see the form or are new to the list and would like to
participate, contact me at [log in to unmask] as soon as
possible.

In researching other available information, we found that lists
of subscribers (including their email addresses) can be retrieved
from discussion lists using the REVIEW command.  This would
drastically increase the size of our directory.  Our goal is to
be as inclusive as possible.

Throughout the project, we have asked for advice.  When we asked
about the retrieval of the discussion list names, a few people
felt strongly that this would be an invasion of their privacy
even though these lists are available publicly.  We don't want to
offend people who hold this view, with respect to etiquette and
rules of conduct.

We do not plan to use the names from any other lists, but because
museum-l members are so relevant to the directory project, we
would like to include these names and email addressees. We will
retrieve the names from museum-l on the morning of Thursday,
August 4th.  Any museum-l subscriber who does not want their name
and email address used in our directory should send a CONCEAL
command to the [log in to unmask]

To conceal your name, send a message to [log in to unmask]
with the body:
SET CONCEAL MUSEUM-L
This will "hide" your name from the museum-l review command, and
thus, will not be included in our directory.

To un-conceal your name, send a message to
[log in to unmask] with the body:
SET MUSEUM-L NOCONCEAL
This will "un-hide" your name from the museum-l review command.

These will send you a return message to confirm your command.
Any names already in our directory will not be duplicated.
Thank you for your participation.

-Rod Montgomery
 Smithsonian Institution