From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 06:03:00 PDT
There is never a total safe museum.  If it is not the public,
it just may be the staff, volunteers or even the board who
may be the security risk.

If someone wants something, they are going to take it or find
a way to get the object.

We are a small museum, and have many buildings.  Larger exhibit
buildings have a security guard, and cases are locked in all
buildings.  The museum is surrounded by a six foot fence, some
with barb-wire on top.  We look like a prison, instead of a
museum.  However, a few years back.  In a small building housing
Native American artifacts, a few cases were broken into, and much
of the valuable objects on exhibit was taken, and thossed over the
fence.  The "visitor(s)" then walked calmly out, went around the
fence and calmly loaded up and off they went.  The artifacts were
never recovered.

In buildings unmanned, and with a tight budget, we were thinking
of installing the "fake" cameras that are fixed to the ceiling
and moves back and forth.  Also, mirrors.  This would give the
impression, that we are at least aware and watching.  A security
guard also is situated in some buildings, or could make rounds.

Another good point -- is to have your collection photographed, so
if their is a problem, you have something to show the police and
public what was stolen.

People, though are on the majority side --- honest.  But as
mentioned, IMHO, if someone wants something -- they will find the
means and way to have that object.

At 08:32 AM 9/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I work for a small newspaper and while covering the opening of a new
>display at our local museum, the subject of security (or the lack of it)
>came up. They have a burglar alarm, but as the owners correctly pointed
>out, by the time the police arrived, the thief(ves) could easily have
>disappeared with the loot. They are reluctant to tell people that their
>valuable heirlooms will be completely safe, or to make any guarantees
>that would make them liable. Yet, they want to encourage people to bring
>items to the museum for display, as well as contacting exhibitors
>outside our county.
>
>My question is: How do other small museums handle this problem? Since I
>have access to the Internet and e-mail,I told them I would help. Any
>suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John Martinson
755 Myra Rd
Walla Walla, WA  99364
(509) 525-7703 (Work)