From:
unlisted <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:23:12 -0500
Were they stolen or simply
uncovered at a time when there was no great national
pride in such things?

italy has always held great national pride in her cultural property. she is
one of the few countries that have produced masterpieces that have withstood
the test of artistic time and have been the foundation of western fine art
and culture.

if it is proven that the items in question are allegedly 'looted' - meaning
exactly that - stolen
or removed illegally. italy has had laws on the books for some time
regarding this issue.

again i don't care what country of origin if transferred, stolen, etc.
outside of the law and proper channels - regardless of how many generations
have owned it - many cases have come up - for example jews and others
claiming holocaust era stolen artworks - some were sold since, and the
purchasers thought they had proper title. do they go back if not legally
aquired? yes.