From:
David Haberstich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:16:37 EST
 A slightly cautionary note of disagreement on this issue, just for
"FUN!" I think the quest for entertainment in museums is a slippery
slope. While I agree that the exhibition side of museum work represents
a type of "show business," I don't believe that everything needs to be
"entertaining." I find this idea just as wrong-headed as the tendency of
the entertainment industry itself to gear itself to the lowest common
denominator, relying upon increasing violence, etc., to command the
viewer's attention, resulting in a decreasing tolerance for subtlety,
nuance, and anything less than frantic action. Sooner or later, the
show-biz side of museum work can affect decisions about collecting or
showing the popular and chic instead of the historically significant but
dull. I think these polarities can then become part of museum
politics... I've seen it happen... I know this sounds like a
curmudgeonly, reactionary reaction, but frankly I'm getting a little
sick of the bias against "dull" old-fashioned museum exhibits. I think
dull museums can be a lot of fun... David Haberstich