From:
Jeff Carl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 08:46:49 +0000
> From:          MusmDesign <[log in to unmask]>

> Are there any FOR-PROFIT museums out there?  Nearly everyone in this news
> group is constantly complaining about salaries and mis-appropriation of
> talent.  Most of this appears to be from coming from the N4P Museums.  Why
> is it?  To get money from the NEA?
>      Are there too many museums, too much stuff to store and conserve, and
> too many buildings and personnel to guard these things?
>      I wait for replies and good luck to all>

I can't answer that question because I don't know.  Perhaps there
are, when the investor is interested in something more than monetary
return.

But I have asked myself that same question regarding planetariums.
The trend for some time now seems to be toward demanding that they
show a profit from their operation.  It seems to me rather silly to
build and equip an expensive multimedia theater requiring substancial
staff, custom made shows, and only having a couple hundred seats.
The same would seem to apply to museums in general.

The benefit is cultural and educational, not monetary.  If only money
is desired, sell the museums and planetariums and buy fast food
restaurants.  :)

Regards,
Jeff
Jeff Carl