From:
"Ciotola, Nicholas P." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:11:19 -0400
The Albuquerque airport, or International Sunport as it is officially
called, displays a permanent collection of paintings by New Mexican artists.
When working in New Mexico, I recall many complaints from the statwide
museum community about the improper care and handling of those works of art,
largely because the people who dealt with the paintings (including moving
them without authorization and storing them in poor conditions) were
notqualified curators or preparators but airport employees.

MUseums that consider displaying art in public areas should probably weigh
the value of outreach/exposure against the possibility that their
collections, because they are essentially on loan to an institution other
than a museum, are subject to damage by unknowing and unqualified
individuals.  At the very least, arrangements should be made to ensure that
the venue's employees are made aware of all the facets of handling and
storing museum collections.  It seems inconceivable, but many people without
a museum background think that touching a canvas can''t possibly hurt.

Nicholas P. Ciotola
Curator, Italian American Collection
Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center