From:
ExhCoord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:28:10 GMT
The signs I make for our live animal collections are somewhat layered. The
basic components are:

1. Text (four bulleted points about the animal, including description of
appearance, habitat, range and an interesting fact).
2. Color border (colors are keyed to phyla or class as deemed appropriate)
3. Icon (e.g., all arthropods have a red border, but the icons for insects,
arachnids and crustacea are unique).
4. Photo (but only if the animal is part of a mixed-species exhibit).

While it seems that most adults don't respond much to the icons, most kids
recognize them as meaningful symbols right away. I'm working on a project which
would allow children to use the colors and icons to facilitate them in a kind
of treasure hunt within the center.

Anyhoo...my point is that color and simple graphics seem to be appealing to
kids.

Rhea Tannenbaum
Exhibits Coordinator
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center