From:
Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:34:38 -0400
I take care of the copyright/royalty issue on music playing in our gift shop
area by featuring only local artists with ties to our museum's mission. We
are a local history & cultural museum. Samples include: sea shanties by a
group who frequents our living history events, Chesapeake Bay songs (sort of
bluesy) by local artists, etc. ALL of these folks have given their
permission for the CDs to be played in our gift shop. Their view is that it
helps "push" the music...ultimately recognition and a few coins in their
pockets.

Now I have question about this live music and royalties. My predecessor had
the museum join ASCAP, pay annual dues, and then a fee based on event
attendance. (All of this for ONE event with live music!) Regardless of
whether or not we have an event, I have to fill out a quarterly report for
ASCAP now.

1. Do any of the rest of you belong to ASCAP and pay their "dues?"
2. Shouldn't the band/musician/DJ be the one to pay royalties?
3. Any advice about using live music for benefit events?

Thanks,
Becky Fitzgerald