From:
Sharon Koomler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:39:30 EDT
Pamela,

I disagree.  Our site experienced an immediate and drastic decrease in
attendance beginning September 11 - after having experienced an increased
attendance each month this year.  Tourism has definitely been affected by
events of September 11.  I learned in our weekly staff meeting today, the
attendance for October is already down MORE THAN 50% over last year.  This is
not due to poor management but to the decrease in general attendance and the
many, many scheduled bus tours that are either cancelling or just not showing
up.  The weather is perfect and the trees are beginning to show their fall
beauty.  This should be the height of our tourist season, but will not be.

I believe museums are going to have to re-sell ourselves as places of solice,
of education and understanding, and an escape from the harsh realities of our
lives today.  We have a tough road ahead, but I believe it is one we can and
should travel with great consideration to our missions and yes, to management.

Sharon Duane Koomler
Curator of Collections
Hancock Shaker Village
Pittsfield, MA