From:
Curtis Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2015 20:00:53 -0500
Hello Hillary,

We've moved large structures in our exhibit hall with simple furniture dollies from Harbor Freight.  They're rated (optimistically, I think) for 1000 lbs each, just use more of them then you think you need.  They've got castors so once the structure is up on them, you can do anything you want with it.

Levitation is another matter, we used a simple long heavy lever and lots and lots of 2X4's.  We pried the structure up one corner at a time, using 2X4's for both fulcrum and cribbing.  We went one layer of 2X4's at a time, working around levering the structure up and stacking more 2X4's until they were 3 high, at which point we were able to slide the dollies under the structure.  When you get where you're going, reverse the process until you're back on the floor.

Work slowly, use a long lever, and make sure the part you're prying on is sturdy enough to hold the weight (corners, under frame beams, etc).  Keep all humans and parts of humans out from under the structure on all occasions.  Do this and you can move nearly anything.  We just moved a 1 ton, U-shaped wall with just two people, and were done in about 45 minutes working very carefully. Hope this helps,

Curtis Morris
Exhibits
Shiloh Museum
Springdale, Arkansas