From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:18:59 -0700
Becca,

I would keep your overall collections policy the same but add a
category such as "functional artifacts" with a seperate policy for
use. I would suggest limiting the use and maintenance of these
functional artifacts being at the express approval of the curator or
collections manager. That way there is no permission in perpetuity nor
is there some lasting "condition" that goes along with the donation -
it is obvious that the responisble museum staff personel control the
collection. It is the museum that determines what is used and by whom
- no one else.

I would be a little leary of the donors being so invovled - but as
long as it is crystal clear that the museum has full ownership and
also sets the limits and policies for use then that should minimize
conflicts.

If the artifact is damaged while being used as a part of museum
activities then the museum, as owner, is repsonisble. If there is an
act of outright negligence or intented destruction then the party
responsible should be liable. The donors and others who will be using
these objects should be presented with a policy and standards for the
safe and responsible use of the collection and sign off on that. And
no one who is not affiliated as either a volunteer or staff should be
allowed to use them.

There is also the very serious subject of liability in the use of any
farm equipment, let alone 100 year old functioning artifacts. If there
is an unclear or confusing muddle of ownership, if the donor "owns" it
in part, and uses it, and either the operator or someone from the
public gets hurt, then that could be a really complex situation. It is
in the interest of the museum to own the collection and to set
policies and oversight for their safe use in demonstrations.

I can think of one instance where, at the living history museum where
I worked at many years ago, that a craft interpreter handed a sharp
tool to a member of the public to try, as they had done hundreds of
times, and the visitor sliced themselves so seriously as for it to
require surgery. Accidents DO happen and you need to anticipate that
and try to reduce and eliminate the potential for them and the ensuing
liabilities.

As a conservator I tend to dislike old objects and tools being used
but I have sometimes dealt with functional objects and realize that
while they are used they should not be seen as being "disposable" -
that there is a significant interest in the museum doing its best to
care and preserve these objects and that may place limits and some
restrictions on the use.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey