From:
Pamela Feltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:52:24 EDT
> As for the pendulum, I think that go shortened and moved somewhere else but
>  can't remember where. That's another favorite of mine but I am a science
>  educator. Even as a kid, I was always facinated by how it swung so
perfectly
>  and knocked down the little red pegs.
Here's my argument for keeping the pendulum (besides there's an odd round
hole in the floor at NMAH now) many of my friends who are DC natives grew up
going to NMAH and their strongest memory is the pendulum. Sure it's
scientific, but it's also a part of the history of the building. And neat to
see. And doesn't take up much room at all!

>  If you're there on a weekend, brunch at the Castle is fabulous and the
> dining
>  room is worth the entire trip. You get the feeling that you really are in a
>  Castle.
I'll second that! The Commons is a bit more pricey than other brunches, but
so good you could eat a day's worth of food in that one meal. And the room is
amazing! And it is a hidden secret around town, so it is one of the few
brunches that doesn't have long lines (so do Eastern Market on Saturday and
the Commons on Sunday-- you'll learn why we Americans love our breakfasts so
much! And you'll walk off the calories)
I did the Castle tour several years ago and as I remember, it's neat and you
feel special to walk into such special areas, but if you have a limited
amount of time in town, I wouldn't waste it on the tour. Go into the Castle
to see the Great Hall and the Commons and that's it.
Also, African Art and the Sackler connect underground through the Ripley
Center which currently has an exhibit on women from the National Portrait
Gallery. I recommend asking for this connecting pathway (I always stumble
onto it) because it will save alot of stair walking time.