Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 13:53:27 EST
 With all of the available database programs on the market, each with
short-comings and positive points, someone needs to develop a feasable
means to transfer (and translate) the different database files from one
format to another.

Would any of you other nerds like to try this?

Jim McCrain
Chief Curator
Old City Park
Dallas, Texas
214 421-5141

     My apologies to you, Jim, and any other computer experts on this or
     any other list.  I am in awe of your skills.
     Jim's last comment is what I was hoping to get at.
     I realize that there are many software packages out there and
     that what works for one may not for another museum but
     somewhere, somehow if we are all to make use of the electronic
     mode there has to be  more than nomunclature standardization.
     For public access, we need a short, general style that could be
     managed by volunteers and available at public kiosks and web pages.
     Large museum may be able to have the services of a programer and
     trainers but small-medium museums usually can't. With grant and
     foundation monies  harder than ever to win, we can't depend on
     those sources either to join the electronic waves.

     Thanks Jim and others who replied,
     Carole