From:
Paul Apodaca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 1994 22:57:37 -0800
You may not recall the debacle that occured at the Field Museum that caused
curators to resign and the museum to post labels allowing staff to express
their dissatisfactions or you may not recall the flight from the Education
and Programs depts. at LANHM or a dozen other cases. Education departments
for years resented curators who seemed to have a hold on the more
"prestigious" aspects of the museum and made a real bid to change the
balance within institutions over this past ten years. Many museum directors
today are former directors of education where in years past they came from
the curatorial ranks. You can the progression of such education people to
the assistant director - to director ranks in many institutions and with
many individuals but it is not productive to be indiscreet to prove
accuracy. The point is there are practical aspects of the museological
field that are not always articulated but remain as an abstract within
which we all work.

The Reaganesque theory that museum's should meet the bottom line and be
responsive to a supportive audience has destroyed much of what had been
created and preserved through depressions and wars. My answer was in my
paragraph that stated museum's are best when they are neutral ground where
all can meet and use the resources. I am painfully sorry you see museums as
just another utility.

I was dissapointed not to see my remarks posted but only shortened and
challenged in Robin Murphy's reply.
Paul Apodaca