Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:55:07 +0500
Tongariki:
>Bravo KJK !  You are quite right about "internships" actually being of a
>level of complexity and responsibility that they used to be staff
>positions.  Further they should be staff positions.  Interns (as a broad
>catagory) can not be expected to feel the sense of loyalty and ownership
>necessary to do quality work.

kjk:
i've posted a bit on this (from my own experience) in another thread. (the
one about pay scales for museum educators: YOU DECIDE).  as i see it, it's
a double-edged sword:

one edge cuts because an intern CAN feel a great "sense of loyalty and
ownership" towards a collection and do work "above and beyond..."
unfortunately while i'm quite sure interns of that quality (here i'm
referring to those "interns" whose experience and desire to work in
museums take them beyond mere qualification to be interns) gain the
personal respect and appreciation of their colleagues/supervisors, they
simply cannot or do not receive a sense of professional loyalty in return
from the institution.  budgets (or maybe uncreative budget directors) will
not allow it.

Tongariki:
>In my area (collections
>management/registration) there is a need to maintain the confidentiality
>of information (donors, values, etc.) that can not just be foisted off on
>short-term, temporary or volunteer workers.  It's just too risky to the
>long-term and immediate health of the institution.

kjk:
the other edge, as you suggest, cuts because there are interns who have
not yet (and should not be expected to have) gained the skills and
experience to perform tasks normally expected of regular staff.

in either scenario, as i see it, both the institution and intern lose a
great deal:  (a) the "overqualified" intern does not receive adequate
compensation/professional security and the institution will -- by the
nature of the internship -- lose him or her.  (b) the intern not up to the
responsibilies of a regular staff member is overwhelmed and the
institution does not have its immediate and/or long term needs met.

by the way, my area is (was) also collections management/registration.
could  these problems be unique to that area?  i've never seen complaints
of this sort from curatorial staff, for instance.

--
please read the text before responding publicly.
i do not respond to unsolicited email.