From:
Sharon Koomler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:00:18 EST
I know this is a tough subject. It has to do with degrees, experience, the
quirks of a particular museum, the last employee's characteristics (good or
bad), and the whims of the person who reviews applications.

As I look at applications for potential interns and support staff, I look at
relevant experience, coursework, and personal interests. I have hired staff
with BA, MA, and have taken both undergraduate and graduate interns.  I have
chosen not to consider applicants without relevenat experience or coursework
but a good interview has changed my mind in some cases.  Usually degree is
not the primary consideration.

I tell all my interns that they should consider every internship and term as
a volunteer as professional experience. You can write your resume and
experience to fit many job descriptions. Apply for jobs you are interested in
and can get excited about. The hardest thing for an employer to do is
interview someone who doesn't ask questions, want to look under a sheet
(curatorial storage areas), or who seems afraid to offer an opinion.  Visit
websites of the institutions you are interested in.

As I began my museum career, I turned a successful internship into a job. It
was a unique opportunity, but I first interned in the curatorial dept (at a
museum that didn't have a curator, educator -- well, actually the only full
time staff person was the director) but during the second semester (I liked
the place) I asked if I could offer school programs. (I had assisted with
some at another museum in the same community so had a good sense of what I
was in for.) The first program I offered was wildly successful so I was able
to convince the director that I should offer another.  Long story short, they
realized I was going to be able to earn my keep, so to speak, and hired me
after I graduated.  Volunteering and internships PAY OFF!

There are jobs.  Don't get discouraged.  Be persistant.  Go to regional
museum meetings and interview and network.  Good luck.

Sharon Duane Koomler
Curator of Collections
Hancock Shaker Village
Pittsfield, MA