From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 13:03:41 -0500
In a private communication
On Thu, 19 Jan 1995 "Shirley J. Schwarz" <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Robert, you mentioned two resources that I would like to find more
>information on.  How do I locate ICONCLASS?  Where might I obtain a copy
>of the CD-Rom "Library of the Future" and how much does it cost?

I am posting the answer to her question publically.

Shirley and museum-l readers:

ICONCLASS is an iconographical identification and classification scheme
using the principles of hierarchical access and controlled vocabulary.  It
was developed originally by Henri de Waal who was an art history professor
at Leiden University.  Recently it has been transformed into a computerized
access tool in the form of a Windows application.  Each item classified is
assigned a number that identifies the specific item and its various parents
along the hierarchical path to the most general.  Specific elements such as
"cow" and narrative subjects such as the Raising of Lazarus as well as
thematic subjects such as "conqueror triumphing, triumphal entry of victor"
are all covered.

For example,  Item numbers
71F3761 refers to Samson's hairlocks cut off by Delilah,
71F376   refers to Samson's hairlocks are shaved or cut off...
71F37     refers to the Story of Samson and Delilah (Judges 16:4-21)
71F3       refers to the time of Samson <<the book of Judges
71F         refers to the time of the Judges
71           refers to the Old Testament
7             refers to the Bible

The faults in the system (Western subjects only) stem from the same
features that make it advantageous to use. While the hierarchal structure
makes it easy to hone in onto a topic that you have not defined well, it
crystalizes a set of relationships that must reflect our present
understanding of the world -- and therefore will eventually prove to be
dated.  The ICONCLASS system is not complete, it contains about 24,000
subjects.  If you turn to, say, Ovid's Metamorphoses, you may find many
episodes cited, but certainly not all.  I am not an ICONCLASS cataloguer,
but I think they have provided for a way in which individual collections
can add to the system without creating conflicts.

More information on ICONCLASS can be obtained from

ICONCLASS
Research & Development Group
Vakgroep Computer & Letteren
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht
Achter de Dom 22-44
3512 JP Utrecht
The Netherlands

e-mail [log in to unmask]

(My information is from 2/92, so it may be out of date.)

Also refer to the following articles:
Hans Brandhorst and Peter van Huisstede: "ICONCLASS: Recent Developments,"
in _Visual Resources_, Vol. VIII, ppp. 367-382.

Same authors: "The ICONCLASS Connection: ICONCLASS and Pictorial
Information Systems, in _Computers and the History of Art_, Vol. 2.1 pp.
1-20 (1991).

An inexpensive entry into iconclass can be had by a cd-rom (I hope it is
still in print) that merges the iconclass system with a catalogue of
printer marks of dutch publishers.  The entire ICONCLASS system with
browser and a query engine was placed on a cd-rom in 1991.  The ISBN number
is 90 70118 73 4 and was published by the Koninklijke Bibliotheek at the
University of Utrecht.  If I remember correctly, the cost of the CD-ROM was
about $50 while that of the browser that could be modified for cataloging
was around $300.

The "Library of the Future," a CD-ROM now in its 3rd edition, contains the
full unabridged text of over 1750 literary titles, including over 3500
items.  It also has some illustrations from texts, such as the
illustrations that appeared with Alice in Wondeland or Poe's Goldbug and
some video clips that I can't seem to get to work well even on a quad speed
cd-rom.  It has several interesting methods of limiting a searcher's query,
including selection by author, word (with limited boolean facilities),
exact phrase, proximity, historical period, geographical location, etc.
Its major disadvantage (aside from a few annoying bugs) is its near total
reliance on works in the public domain.  Not only does this mean that
recent works are not included, but, save for those written in English,
foreign works appear in translations that tend to be rather old and
outdated.  The above notwithstanding, I have found it an indespensible tool
and continue to purchase every new edition as it is released.  The disk
contains both a DOS and a Windows version.  For more information write to,

World Library, Inc.
12914 Haster Street
Garden Grove, CA  92640
Telephone: (714) 748-7197 and (800) 443-0238

Because I buy upgrades I don't know how much it currently costs.  I think
it is listed for about $150 and can be found discounted.

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant
P.O. Box 93, Larchmont, NY 10538