From:
Ellen Carrlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:14:01 -0800
Hi David,
Polyolefin or teflon tubing are used for professional mountmaking in many
museums.  You can get them though Benchmark at benchmarkcatalog.com under
the "padding" section.  In fact, you might think about looking further into
their catalog, since they specialize in excellent mountmaking supplies, and
they are friendly and helpful to boot.  I think I saw University Products
peddling the polyolefin tubing at a recent conference as well.  Yes, vinyl
is not a good thing to use long-term.  Since it is easy to buy at the local
hardware store, in a pinch I will sometimes use it for a short term exhibit
(a month or so) depending on the vulnerability of the artifacts.  Polyolefin
tubing is heat-shrinkable and you can paint it with acrylic paints to match
the item.  You don't have to heat shrink it and if you do paint it, you
should give it ample time for the paint to cure (two weeks is ideal.)
If you want to test your tubing to see if it is "bad," run some sandpaper
over a piece of copper wire to remove any coating, heat it up with a
lighter, melt some of the tubing onto the wire, and put it back over the
flame.  If the flame turns green, your tubing contains chlorides and is not
suitable.  This is called the "Beilstein test for chlorides."
Good luck!
Ellen Carrlee
Curator of Collections and Exhibits
Juneau-Douglas City Museum