From:
Arlyn Danielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 16:18:38 -0500
While not all "diggers" are bad, some diggers can be obnoxious and
inconsiderate of history in general.  The main thing they want to do, as
you so correctly pointed out, is to unethically and probably illegally,
enhance their own collections and pocketbooks.  I wouldn't be surprised if
many of these types swing thru federal sites after dark and when no one is
around.  However, if someone owns a plot of land, and grants the diggers
permission to go through their property, I don't think there is much anyone
else can do.  It is unfortunate.  People need to be educated about this
practice.   A good archeological site can be ruined.

Arlyn Danielson