From:
Larisa Overmier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 17:20:51 -0500
I'm posting this message for a friend without Internet access. Please excuse
cross-postings.

I am a graduate student in museum studies at John F. Kennedy University. I am
currently working on my master's project and would like to request
information from anyone out there that can help me.

My master's project is about Deaf visitors in museums. I am focusing on how
 museums can acknowledge Deaf people as a social group rather than as
individuals with disabilities. I realize that this is a controversial subject
within the Deaf community itself and am looking to present both points of
view. But for now I am searching for case study examples of museums that
have, in the past or present, developed programs, exhibitions, or events that
focused on the Deaf community. I am NOT looking for examples of how museums
accommodate visitors with hearing impairments through services such as Sign
Language Interpretation and TTY access. I am strictly focused on the
representation of Deaf culture, history, achievements, struggles, etc.
through exhibitions, programs, events, or other relevant means.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Elana Kalisher