Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:26:37 -0500
Hi Betty (et al)

I have been involved in the conduct of more than 100 evaluative studies of
heritage institutions, all of which involved survey research and a number
focus group research. Both are uniquely useful and, used together, provide
very valuable planning information. I have also been heavily involved in
strategic nd operational planning for a variety of kinds of organizations
and have a good idea of what you are going through.

I find that, in exploring questions related to mandate, mission and
objectives development, deciding which questions to ask and how to ask them
is by far the most critical part of the exercise. Simply taking other
people's questionnaires or focus group moderators' guides and playing with
them will NOT give useful results and may actually give you misleading data
which can be costly to your organization in the long run.

I will be retiring from the staff of this museum at the end of 1999 to work
full-time as a consultant specializing in evaluation, planning and training.
My c.v. is attached. If you are interested, please contact me at either of
the following:

-or-

 <<Musecv.doc>>
Harry