From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 00:44:01 -0800
TYPE OF MENTOR SOUGHT:

Someone who works in an historic house museum

AND/OR

Someone with connections in the museums world
(preferably in the Michigan area) who can give me
career guidance support and feedback

CONTACT HOLLY BY EMAIL AT:

MEET HOLLY HARTLERODE:

My name is Holly Hartlerode, and I too am in the
nightmare known as trying to find a decent paying job
in a museum.

I have  BA in history and will have an MA in Public
History this May.

I had an internship at the Brimfield Memorial/Kelso
House Museum while completing my undergraduate degree.
I have also volunteered at the Lucas County/Maumee
Valley Historical Society for three years.  While
there I took care of their costume collection,
installed exhibits, cataloged artifacts, and gave two
lectures on costume for the local high school.  My
graduate assistantship gave me the opportunity to
learn how to process manuscript collections.

Currently, I am working on compiling a finding aid for
the Toledo Scale Collection.

In addition to school, I work part time in the
Collections Management department at the Henry Ford
Museum and Greenfield Village.  Our main concern is
proper moving and storage.  I work directly with
registrars and conservationists.  At this time I am
working on the evaluation of textiles/costumes for an
NEH grant.

My goal is to work in a historic house museum.  My
passion is material culture, especially in the home.
I like to help people understand how ordinary people
lived, worked, and interacted with each other.  I also
enjoy helping museums organize, conserve, and catalog
their collections.

I live in Southeast Michigan, and I am finding it very
difficult to find a job around here.  I need to stay
in this area at least five more years.

I would like to find somebody who understands what I
am going through and could offer me some advice.  It
is a very frustrating time because I feel that I have
a lot to offer and it is going to waste.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414   OR