From:
Rachel Hawthorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:55:08 -0600
Hello all,
bear with me, I seem to ask this list a lot of questions, and never have
answers to offer, but I'm still learning...
Anyway, today I found a large box of images in the vault, and what appears
to be an envelope of nitrate negatives. How do I positively identify these
as nitrates?

Also, in my past internships at the Colorado Historical Society, I know we
isolated nitrates to the best of our ability due to their fragility and
combustible nature. However, all I ever did was hand them over and say "I
think these are nitrate" and they would go away. Now that I am the one to
whom people are turning to for answers....I don't have any! Eeeek!!

So, what is the proper storage of nitrate negatives?? Should we just
digitize them and then dispose of them? Some of them are pretty far gone,
with nothing more than a faint yellow-green trace of an image left...

Thanks!

Rachel Hawthorn
Museum Intern
Historic Society of Idaho Springs