From:
Louisa Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 19:45:05 -0000
I work in a beautiful historic home. There are five paid stafff overall,
including the site manager and the tour guides (not volunteer.)  As tour
guides, our responsibilities range from knowledge of all of the artifacts in
the home to how to give directions (which is how it should be in a site as
small as ours.)

Here's my delima, and why I am actually writing to the list.  Our "site
manager" rarely is in for full days, and thus we are quite accustomed to
answering any questions we are presented with.  However, on the few
occasions that she is in, she frequently interrupts us or adds additonal
information.  Not that any of it is imperative information, either.

Our perceived problem is not that her interruptions are annoying and
disrespectful.  Rather, it is entirely unprofessional and gives the
appearance that perhaps we don't know how to do our jobs.  After all, if I
can't be trusted to know a simple birth/death date of the man that lived in
the home, why should the customers trust me to know anything about the home?
  It is very important to stress that the site manager never interrupts us
because we are giving factually incorrect information.

Here's my question:  is there a tactful way to explain the frustration we
feel, or do we need to suffer in silence?