From:
Peter Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:38:29 -0400
Elizabeth, I think that all of the responses that you've received are helpful. But I truly believe that you have to begin at the beginning. For your particular organization, what are the various functions, including, perhaps, an internal network of computers, that you will try to
accomplish or set up with a computer or computer system. Then, you should try to determine what software may exist to accomplish those functions. After that, or perhaps at the same time, you may want to seek out local systems consultants who provide advice, service and support for
PC and Mac systems so that you can discuss your needs, how they can best be met, and at what cost (both as an initial outlay and for ongoing service). Talking to consultants can also broaden your understanding of your needs. Finally, when you have some sense of where you might be
heading, given all of your anticipated needs, the availability of software for expected tasks, service support and costs, etc. (and there are always 'etc's.'), you might want to come back to the list and test some of the opinions and concerns that have inevitably arisen from this
process. Then, you can feel comfortable making a decision about which platform may best serve your needs.

I've used both PCs and Macs; each has its own particular strengths and weaknesses - it really depends on what you want to do.

Hope this helps.

Peter Gale, Toronto