From:
lisa falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 11:20:54 -0700
On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Jeanne Finan wrote:

> Just as very often there are movies made about movies being made, perhaps we
> ought to try including a small "exhibit" about how the exhibit was put
> together...or a program..or something in the museum's newsletter. Not just
> the final product but about the process. I agree with other comments on this
> issue that sometimes the process is more intriguing than the actually exhibit
> itself--or makes the exhibit even more interesting. Has anyone ever done this
> before?

I am often hired to do workshops for teachers (and at times students) on
what I term the "museum approach to curriculum."  Lots of educators like
to create classroom museums, and now WWW versions.  It is a great way to
teach skills and investigate and synthesize content and to make the
"school" work valid by potentially expanding the audience for the work.
It is also exciting for both the students and the teachers involved.  I
find that usually it is an easy way for the schools, local cultural
organizations and community members to work together, and that mutual
respect develops.  Yes, our visitors
are attracted to the mystery of museum work and the wonder of our method
of creation.  I think exhibits and articles like Jeanne suggests would be
very popular and help our cause.

Lisa Falk