From:
Tim Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:55:41 -0700
> ...we have one of the best digital cameras on the market.

The BetterLight digital back 6000 X 8000 ($15K) or 8000 X 10000 ($20K) pixel 4 X 5 camera backs will run circles around film, anytime ant situation.  No one that has seen the difference will question digital over film.

A Nikon CoolPix 950 is a good consumer camera and a Mavrica is OK with light images but looses it in the darks.  The Nikon will shoot a 5 MB uncompressed file.  The Mavrica compresses everything no-matter-what.  The compression itself is quite good (much better than low cost Kodak)
but converting a 3.5 MB raw file into 0.187 MB file for storage on a floppy changes the image, enlarging the pixels considerably and loosing almost all detail in the shadows.  I've worked with both (and many others).

Film is OK, but its not as perfect and we used to think, now the we have seen digital via the BetterLight camera back.  A Nikon LS 2000 slide scanner will give a good 2700 X 3600 pixel image of a slide at 36 bits and 3.6 D, 20 X scan(s) (to decrease noise in darks) but you have to
deal with poor exposures, processing faults and shifts and dust/scratches problems on the film.

> ...permanence issues...

Digital is different than analog.  Migration is part of the process.  One can't put a digital file on a shelf and forget it.  For perfect originals from any version, we pay the price of migration.  One just has to learn to deal with it, like having to take an insulin shot when its
been discovered that you have diabetes.

> ... phase out the macs in favor of sophisticated PCs...

If your interested in imaging why do you want to get rid of the best platform for imaging.  G3's are as cheep as PC's (which I use most of the time) and they come with Color-Sync, the best, color management system available.  Windows 98 as finally implemented ICM 2.0, but the Win98
ICM 1.0 was damaged (random implementation of ICC profiles) on delivery so MS has a long way to go before they can deliver the color management experience of Color-Sync, if they are really interested.  Apple may have had problems, but they are now focused on the imaging and publishing
markets as some of their key users, so they *will not* damage that market by dumbing down Color-Sync, the way MS would do in an instant to gain some additional market share from the business channel.

In Photoshop either PC, Mac or both versions of a Tiff file can be saved.  Just think ahead, when you get used to it, it will seem natural.
BTW, who to say PC's or Mac's will not be able to read each other files in the future?  Think "Fred" (?) software for networking between PC's and Mac's and Virtual PC for running PC software on Mac's.

Tim Vitale
Preservation Associates
510-594-8277

> Sincerely,
>
> Suzannah Schatt

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://museums.state.nm.us/nmmnh/museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).