From:
George Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:53:59 +1100
Yesterday Ngu John <[log in to unmask]>asked:

>Can I know what most museum do with Conservation?
>What information do you keep track? What information do you need the most?
>What information do conservation section need? What chemical been used?
>Huminity?? Mind to share a bit with me? Thanks

At the Australian War Memorial Conservation serves 4 main roles: 1. preparation
of objects (relics, art, documents, photographs, etc) for display; 2. provide
advice to exhibition designers on the display environment (light levels,
humidity levels, temperature, supports, maintenance) needs for objects to be
displayed; 3. preservation of objects kept in storage; 4. maintenance of objects
on display, disaster recovery.

The information that we keep records of includes: 1. the conditions of objects
(before and after conservation treatment) including photographs and drawings of
the objects; 2. how long it takes for us to treat them; 3. what chemicals,
materials and techniques are used in each treatment; 4. who carried out the
treatment; 5. distinguishing details of the objects (makers proof marks, serial
numbers, etc).

The first point allows us to determine how effective our treatments are and if
objects are actively deteriorating. The second point allows us to be able to
estimate how much time will be needed for future treatments, and hence what
budget resources will be needed in the future. The third point enables us to
determine what chemicals, materials and techniques work best, and how stable the
chemicals and materials are in the long term. The fourth and fifth points
provide some information for security of the collection. Serial numbers and
distinguishing marks can help us identify objects if they are stolen.

The information that Conservators like to get with an object includes its
history, where has it been stored, what has caused it to deteriorate (high
humidity, exposure to chemicals, vandalism, etc) what treatment has it received
in the past, does it contain any hazardous materials (radioactive paint, lead
based paint, asbestos, poisons), and any supporting documentation such as
operating instruction manuals, repair manuals etc.

Hope this helps

George Bailey
Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial