From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:07:30 -0500
On 3/22/06, Laurel Weller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I would certainly never teach students that
> all corsetry was harmful or that tight lacing was the norm.  Our "corset
> lady" is, however, an amazing example of what humans have done and continue
> to do to their bodies in the name of fashion or beauty!

Oh wow. That sounds like a neat skeleton. Do you know anything more
about the lady it belonged to? This is the first time I've heard of
someone actually having a documented tight-laced skeleton in their
collection.

Sorry if we jumped on you about it. As you can see, those of us who do
living history or costume history always have to answer a barage of
questions about tight-lacing and the dangers of corsets because so
many people assume that all women did it and were hideously deformed
because of it. It's right up there with "Are you hot in those
clothes?"  :)

Deb