From:
David Conzett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:06:07 -0400
Dear Mark:

Thank you for your E-mail regarding the meat scale.  There are several types
of scales that would be appropriate for the period: the "steel yard" is a
graduated iron rod or bar that dates back many centuries. Suspended from a
central pivot point, a weight(s)would be attached to one end while the
product, meat in this case, would be suspended from the other.  The weight
would then be slid along the bar unitl it came to a level balance and the
correct weight.  Another measure from the period would be the "scale Beam".
Scale beams, of iron or brass (the brass ones are prettier),resemble large
graduated hooks and could be one to several feet in length.  Similar to the
steel yard, the scale beam would be suspended from a central balance point,
the weight applied to one end and the product attached to the other (or
placed on a suspended plate), and the weight moved along the graduations
until the beam became level. Some sacle beams had a sliding weight attached
to the bar -- similar to the scale in a doctor's office.

Mark, I hope this is of some help.  You may wish to check some late 19th or
early 20th Century hardware catalogs such as Sears & Roebuck Co. -- I am
sure such scales will be pictured.  Please feel free to contact me if you
wish further information (513) 287-7063.

All the best,

David Conzett
Curator, History Collections
Cincinnati History Museum