From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:08:32 -0500
Heaven forbid!  A Yankee?  No, No.  I'm from the "other West."  Describing
myself as a Westerner has worked well in my current environment and I get
along quite well.  It took a while to learn that tactic, though.

I am not of the opinion that one must fully adapt to a culture that is not
his own.  I will always hold on to my Northwest cultural attributes (don't
think I could get rid of them if I wanted to).  My years of dealing and
studying about how to deal with multiple cultures (remember, I spent my
first twenty professional years in international stuff), has taught me that
I should appreciate the differences, accept them as making sense to members
of that particular culture but to maintain my own values in the process.  I
will not, for instance, accept certain Texas values--like those that lead
to more people being incarcerated here than in all the European Union
countries together.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum