From:
Kersti Krug <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:12:27 -0700
The Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia is just
concluding the first year of our interdisciplinary certificate program in
museum studies, entitled:
        MANAGING CHANGE AND IMAGINING TOMORROW:
        Cultural Strategies in the Communications Age

The program creates a safe environment in which people from different
cultural disciplines, different professions, and different institutional
affiliations can share ideas and together develop cultural strategies in the
face of social, political, technological, organizational, and personal
change.  Its balanced theoretical and practical approach aims to contribute
to new knowledge, develop an ongoing community of learners, and share tools
that we can all take back to the workplace.

The program is divided into three components:
1. 10-week distance learning seminar (e-mail discussion group)
2. 2-week intensive residential summer institute (on campus, but with many
outings, presenters, and learning methods)
3. 8-week distance learning seminar (using both e-mail and WWW application)

The application deadline is November 28, and the first Internet seminar
starts April 6, 1998.

This inaugural year seems to be a resounding success.  Participants range
from Newfoundland to Hawaii, from the Northwest Territories to California,
from Alaska to Arizona, and big and little places in between.  In the coming
year, we're expecting entrants from the other side of both oceans.

Our 1998 brochure has just come back from the printer.  If you send me your
address, I'll send you a copy.  My various contact points are listed below.
You can also visit our web site at:
                http://www.moa.ubc.ca
Look for Museum Studies: Certificate Program, or go directly to:
        http://www.moa.ubc.ca/Mstudy/certif.html

Please share this information with colleagues who may also be ready for
deeper, broader thinking about the changing world in which we do our work.
And call/write me if you have any questions.

Kersti Krug
1998 Director
Certificate Program in Museum Studies
Museum of Anthropology