From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:14:34 -0700
Ah, so we're discussing searching the web are we?  My chance to offer
something that the group might find of value.

It's been my experience that far too few, both in the real world and on
line, know how to query the web.  If you don't know how to do it
appropriately, you either don't get the results you seek, or so many
results it becomes needle and haystack.

Shortly after the Columbine shooting, I wrote a primer on web searching
and forwarded it to several.  One, a computer instructor in TN, wanting
to help the people in Colorado, sent it to a contact from another list.
 She thought he was in Littleton; rather, he was in Golden.

Three days after it was written, with permission, it was put up as a
web site.  If you go there, you may pick up some pointers and search
engines to help you more quickly nail that which you seek.

I will also be putting it up on my own site, and, when I do, I will be
adding a new search engine of which I became aware last week.  It is
incredibly quick, and it picks up quite a few more hits, though I'm not
real comfortable with its boolean capabilities.  That site is
http://www.alltheweb.com

If you want to check out my pro bono primer, go here:

http://204.98.1.2/isu/home/search.html

Gayle M. Montgomery
Southern California

AKA

Indigo Nights

--- Antony F Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> When faced with a detective problem like this it is
> always worth trying a search engine like Alta Vista,
> <www.altavista.com>, making sure that you surround
> the name with quotation marks thus "Karl Bohrmann".
> In this case you will find about 25 pages mainly in
> German which may relate to the person in question.
> Cut and paste the following code to see what
> happens:

http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&kl=XX&stype=stext&q=%22Karl+Bohrmann&search.x=22&search.y=8

===
Indigo Nights