From:
Jan Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 10:29:35 -0600
Hello,

   I'm the one who (our library presently writing specs for
our *third* automation system) noted the importance of seeking
the advice of those who had experience with more than one
computer system.  Let me be more explicit about the reason:

By comparison to manual operations, ANY computerization will
have thrilling results for the staff.  Hence, everyone loves their
first system.  (We loved ours and were only forced to change when
their maintenance contract became too steep to afford.)

But...as soon as you change to your second system, you are in
a position to make comparisons and can MUCH more accurately
assess the pros and cons of BOTH.

We selected our second system based on multiple site visits to
users who were all thrilled--all of them on their first-ever system.
Turns out our second system was lousy by comparison to the (first)
one we'd had to abandon because of cost increases.  The people we
visited didn't KNOW service can be MUCH better and much faster.
They didn't KNOW that it's not acceptable for the company to sell
you a product they haven't yet finished developing.  They didn't
KNOW what potential capabilities their system was missing.  They
simply didn't have anything to judge their system against.

For this reason, as we select our third system--because the second
was completely unacceptable in product development, fee structure,
speed, linkages, misrepresentation of product, etc.--we will be
visiting only libraries who have had experience with more than one
system.

Changing automation systems is at least as complicated as automating
in the first place.  It only makes sense to get the best advice
available...IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, based on disappointing experience.

                          Dr. Jan Anderson
                          Utah State University
                          (801) 797-2672

                          "Earth is a beta site."