From:
"Jack C. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 00:51:09 -0800
Chantel Cummings raises an interesting point.  Removing dust from
collections on display or in storage is important from (at least) two
points of view.  Dust carries with it various agents of destruction so it
is good to remove it from artifacts.  Another point of view is to inquire
whence the dust?  If there is a reasonable ventilation system with adequate
filtration, there should not be much dust.

Simply brushing dust off of artifacts only moves the particles around; they
do not go away.  Brushing dust into a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter (or
a water bath) will remove the particles from the exhibit area.

It is important to have a filter over the receiving orfice of a vacuum
cleaner to prevent artifact elements from being inadvertently sucked in.

Ms. Cummings uses a fine sable brush and that is alright for most
artifacts; however, it is possible for the hairs of a brush to slip under
parts of some artifacts and pull them away.  I am not suggesting that Ms.
Cummings has ever done this; only pointing out a danger.

Jack

>Date:    Fri, 14 Nov 1997 14:40:31 -0500
>From:    Chantel Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cleaning artwork

>Hi, all

>How do you handle the dusting of artwork/artifacts on display?  As
>registrar, I try to fit time in to dust the paintings and sculpture in
>at least one gallery per week.<snip>

>Chantel Cummings
>Registrar
>The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
>Jacksonville, Florida

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217

503/735-3942 (voice/fax)

www.teleport.com/~tcl         The lyf so short; the craft so long to lerne
                               Chaucer, _The Parlement of Foules_  1386 AD