From:
Chuck Patch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:55:18 -0500
I'm trying to put together a session for the fall meeting of the Museum
Computer Network (www.mcn.edu) on the use of computers in exhibitions that
are more subtle than the typical touch-screen interactive (although I'm not
totally ruling these out). Is anyone familiar with exhibitions in which
computing technology is used with output devices (lights, sound, animated
models, whatever) that do not rely on the viewer's explicit interaction with
a machine on the exhibit floor? Is anyone familiar with production companies
that do this sort of thing?  Is so, please email me off list or call at the
number below.

The tease:
The Discreet Machine
It would seem that the computer kiosk has become a standard feature of
nearly every major museum exhibit. In almost any museum, it gleams forth
upon a gaggle of enchanted onlookers while the real objects surrounding it
in the gallery go unobserved. Talk to computer people and "interactive"
invariably means fingering hot spots on a screen.  How can computers be used
to enhance and not dominate the exhibits of which they are a part? This
session will consider the more traditional interpretation of the term
"interactive" and at technologies and installations where the machinery is
behind the scene, it's impact subtle and where there's nary a screen in
sight.
Chuck Patch
director of systems
The Historic New Orleans Collection