From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 1997 09:10:07 -0400
Thanks Doug

        After directing two state museums in the 80s, I learned how political they
can be come under the watchful eyes of budget analysts, legislative staff,
legislators themselves and various gubernatorial staff and cabinet.  And
also how combative the directors of state museums can be when it comes to
conniving for a larger share of government support usually behind the
scenes!  Kind of like state university presidents in states without a
central university staff.  Or gasoline stations within a half mile of one
another.

        I have been here only since early 1992, nine years after the county dumped
its responsibility for the museum it built, and -- yes, I do find it
necessary to relate to the Board of Supervisors, all of a rural-mountain
bent, but none have actually ever complained about anything we do nor have
we had any pressure to do anything differently.   On the other hand, its
annual contribution -- still important -- is now entirely overshadowed by
gifts from the private sector.  It is a relatively poor county -- which
boasts of the lowest real estate tax in the state -- and has a growing
social services and public schools burden, so we don't push very hard for
an increase in its annual commitment.

        We were able just last year to complete the development of a full package
of fringes for fulltime staff, better than most private employers.  The
first director of the museum retired for health and other reasons on just
social security benefits, and lived a pauper's life until death last year.