Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:47:22 -0000
The Louisiana Association of Museums currently has a traveling exhibition of
art and artifacts from twenty-six museums throughout the state, scheduled to
be seen at six different institutions.  Increasing awareness, surely,
increasing attendance and perceived value, we hope.  (Project Director
Herman Mhire can be contacted at (337)232-7881.)
Kent Plantation House, a historic site and museum, has collaborated on
several events with the parish (county) library system.  Our "Tales Along
the Bayou" Halloween ghost-storytelling sessions have more than doubled in
size in two years, and last summer we hosted their summer reading program
kickoff with 600+ children, featuring traditional craftspeople in addition
to a puppet show.
The area Arts & Humanities Council has this year become very proactive,
encouraging collaborations between member organizations.  We are looking
into jointly sponsoring a summer camp in the future with a children's
theater.  We ALWAYS solicit loans from other institutions and organizations
for exhibits, with cooperation by some and not others.  It's curious to see
the occasional lack of understanding of the mutual and greater benefits of
not jealously protecting some narrow "turf", generally traceable to an
individual.

Carolyn Breedlove
Executive Director
Kent Plantation House