From:
Mary Day Kent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:07:38 -0400
Wellesley College (Wellesley, MA) built a new museum building in the
last 3 or 4 years.It is beautiful and I know that the director and the
committee working on it did extensive research on other museums for ideas
on technology, conservation, best practices, etc.  By now they may know
whether or not all these turned out to be the right choices. I attended
a talk by the director and she had a very interesting slide presentation
about the process of research & design and how & why they made the decisions
they made. If you can persuade yourselves that a research trip to other
museums is necessary as part of your assessment, I would encourage you to
visit Wellesley and also Dartmouth. They have a new building which is not
that new anymore (10 years?) but is also very beautiful and seems to be
effective for both students and wider use by tourists, community and the
university.
Mary Day Kent, International Classroom, University of Pennsylvania Museum